Saturday, April 2, 2011

J. Epperson's Tuna Ala King

Since there's nothing to do and I have nowhere to go to today, I decided to cook! It's not everyday that I venture to the kitchen 'cause I almost always just don't have the time (and the mood) to whip something up. But since I have time to kill, why not right? My sister showed me Mrs. Jenni Epperson's Century Corned Tuna Ala King recipe yesterday and we agreed to try and make it. Actually, no. What usually happens is that I make it and my sister tastes it and today is no different.
The Filling
Confession: I did not use the ingredients and the proportion the recipe calls for although the idea is there. We have no corned tuna so I had to use light tuna (Century pa rin ang brand! Ha!). I'm not sure how much the difference is exactly between these two kinds in terms of taste but I'm sure there is a difference. 

I used frozen mixed veggies instead of just peas and carrots. I also added more milk, flour and salt. I made the filling thick 'cause I prefer it that way. I like a creamy consistency.
Toast Cups
We currently don't have whole wheat bread (like we normally do) so I had to use white bread. I also spread butter on the second batch of cups as suggested by my brother. Tip: Make sure to flatten the bread to prevent it from tearing apart as you put it in the pan. But if it does tear apart, don't worry. Just fix it once they are placed in the muffin pan by making sure the torn parts are together and there are no holes. Once you see them turn golden brown, they are set! These treats are best when warm so serve them immediately.
First Batch
Second Batch
They look good!
I was able to make 18 cups all together. It is really quite good and filling too! The family enjoyed it! Click on the link above to view the recipe (and also read about Mrs. Epperson!). My sister suggested to bake the filling with the cups next time. Will probably try that when I find the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!