Sunday, January 3, 2010

Avatar (2009)

Finally, we got to watch Avatar this afternoon! The theatre was sooo packed! We watched the 3PM show ha but still there are lots of people!

As for the movie itself: Oh man, 3 hours of mind blowing computer graphics. PURE AWESOMENESS! It's not just the CG that is amazing though. The issues tackled in the story are really, really current even if it is originally written 14 years ago. The audience can relate to it one way or another.

Some parts of the story is predictable (including the ending) but what makes it amazing is how it incorporates social issues in the situation between the Sky People and the Na'vis. The use of education, supplying medicine, etc. to the Na'vis to gain their trust and be able to influence them have happened and is still happening in real life. The desire for precious material and trying to drive the indigenous people away. The movie reminded me of the Iraq war. It reminded me of the tribes we've studied in my Anthropology classes. (Also, while watching it, I can't help but think of Grace (Sigourney Weaver) not as a scientist but as an anthropologist. I don't know. Her character just have that feel and the attitude of an anthropologist.) It made me think and reflect. I like movies like that. Movies that subtly ask you what you will do if you are in that situation. (Like The Dark Knight)

Pandora enthralled me. It's so beautiful. The details that Cameron put in this fictional world is just wow. The Na'vi culture was beautifully depicted. They even have their own language! I wonder where Cameron drew inspiration for it. This is why I love, love stories like this. The amount of time and effort needed to create a fictional society with all the structures, the social hierarchy, the religion, the language, etc. to make it seem a real one is not a joke. It takes a genius to be that detailed.

On a lighter note, Sam Worthington is sooo gwapo. And I don't know if it's just me and my malabo eyes plus the 3D glasses but Sigourney sometimes looks like Susan Sarandon.

Overall, it is a great movie. Visually stunning! I wish Pandora actually exists! Haha!

Watch: The Making of Avatar
Read: Avatars making love?
Listen: Leona Lewis' I See You

1 comment:

  1. sobrang ganda noh!!!!
    like my walang sawang line na..
    it's so beautiful i cried!! hahaha! but it's true!!! visually orgasmic!
    i believe they had a professional linguist who made the language for the navis. and yes, the social issues were on point! astig!

    plus, i absolutely loved the soundtrack. that part where they were trying to channel all of the navis and heal sigourney's character. so powerful. love the chanting music!

    and ang ganda nung mga naggloglow!!! i wish pandora existed talaga! :D ay naku, i love love this movie!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!