Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fearing Failure

It is amazing how we give meaning to the word FUTURE as we grow older. I can still remember when I was young, the future meant when I am done school. The future was so big and promising then, void of any negativity and reality. I used to think of decades and what I want to do within those years. Yes, like any other kid I was full of dreams. I was sure of what I wanted in life. Now that we are older, I've noticed that the word FUTURE became smaller. It has shrunk like the world around us did. The decades became next month, next week, tomorrow, the next second... it's like a threat that looms over our heads reminding us that we cannot escape. Because the truth is our old future has caught up on us and our idealistic dreams did not translate to reality. As a kid, we have this idea that the future magically transforms before our eyes. When you said before that you wanted to be a doctor, you didn't know that you will have to take Chemistry and Biochemistry or that you have to have a decent score on the MCAT. I bet people didn't even tell you that Med school costs a fortune. Moreover, that there is a chance that they don't even accept you. Most of us were raised idealistic and some of us never shed that until we were forced to face the awful realities of life. Yes, there is a thing called the MCAT and there is a thing called Medical School Application, and yes, it may include a panel interview.

The FUTURE, as you know, is largely unknown. As time passes your way, it asks you "What now?" We feel that: The Pressure. And so we plan, plan out our lives to no end. We meticulously count, assess, assign, organize, discern so we can prepare for the future: to make the unknown, somewhat known. We become obsessed with our plans and get frustrated when things do not go our way. Traces of our idealistic past hurt us as we tread towards our goals. We, humans have a hard time processing this. Most of the time we see it as a dead end. But we have to shed that idealistic thinking and accept the harsh reality that failure is part of the game.

I have to admit that it took me a while to realize this. Like most people, I am afraid of failure. And that fear stopped me from discovering the beauty of taking chances. It was quite restricting because it inhibited me from trying. What wonderful things could have happened if I took the chance? Sadly, I wouldn't know. Knowing, I believe, offsets whatever fear that we have. Having the answer to the what ifs is true power and control. But we don't see that. Often we get contented with the safe choice and we never leave our comfort zone. We don't try because we fear the outcome. We don't realize how beautiful things begin with just trying.

Losing is not the end of a battle. I've always thought that failure meant that I should move on and give my attention to something else. But it can be a test of how much we want something (or perhaps someone). Failing is a challenge. It is one of life's ways to ask you of how far you are willing to go. Standing up and trying again is not an easy task and if you are not dedicated enough, you can easily break and give up.

To sum it up, failure is a teacher. Because failing results to a myriad of emotions you learn so much about yourself in the midst of it. You learn how to handle your feelings and how to pick yourself up. You learn the important things in life, what makes you happy... you see the people who cares about you. It is an experience.

I'm not saying that you go out there and try everything and gear for failure. What I'm trying to say is that fear of failure should not stop all of us from leaving our protective shell. We might not have achieved what we wanted to sometimes, we should not let this stop us. The future is ours and we should go ahead and meet life head on with enthusiasm. Taking chances wouldn't hurt.  It's good to be careful but make sure you are not careful to the point that it's crippling. Remember that nothing extraordinary can happen if we just stand in one corner because we are afraid of crossing the street fearing that cars will hit us while we are on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!