Friday, January 7, 2011

Changes

Have you ever felt like a stranger in a place that used to be so familiar? It's so cheesy but I was so taken a back that I have to write about it. I visited the university yesterday and it felt... weird. No, the place did not have drastic changes. Also, I work there part-time so it's not like I haven't been there for ages. But it was actually my first time visiting on a regular term and that, I think, shocked me.

I got there at lunch time and ate at UC with my sister. I bought the usual chicken and wedges from Pizza Pizza. And also, like the usual, I only ate a third of it. It's pretty much what I did before when I was still a student but somewhat different. I used to just go there anytime, on any day and find someone I know but there was not a familiar face. I looked around and noticed how everyone was in a hurry. I thought had it always been like this? I never noticed how everyone was rushing to somewhere; no one was paying attention to anything except for their destination. Everyone has their own little bubble, their own clique, their own way... it was sort of alienating.

After eating I set off to Dafoe to meet some friends. I decided to take the tunnels to stay warm. It surprised me how weird it felt. There it was, the same old tunnel that I walked into for the last four years but it was not the same. The girl who used to walk in there was gone. Moreover, the undergrad angst was not there anymore. I knew that I've changed since graduating but I never knew that I changed that way and to that extent that it surprised me. It was like seeing that same place with new pair of eyes.

I got to the library, walked in and found my friend. It was the same old Dafoe, same Starbucks, the same baristas, the same couches... but different. It's not them, it's me. I do not belong in the university anymore but I'm hoping I can find my way back in soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!