Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sanctuary

And so after a long, long time I went and visited the gallery. It was unplanned. I was supposed to go somewhere else but decided against it the last minute. I ended up going to the gallery.

I visited five exhibitions: the Art of Warner Bros. Cartoons; The Collection on View: European Renaissance and Baroque Art: 1500-1700; The Collection on View: The Academic Tradition in Europe & Canada, 1700-1900; The Collection on View: Modernist Traditions: 1870-1950; The Collection on View: Art on a Paper Ground

It amazes me how the age of the artwork does not seem to sink on me. I touched a table and a desk and I can't seem to process the thought that they are both from 1650. While looking at them, I tried to put them in context. I tried to imagine the world in that year to be able to think of them as something that is more than 300 years old but I can't.

There were a number of things that stood out. I loved the Greek sculpture and the ivory and copper casket. I like the old pieces of furniture. I like the huge altarpieces.

George Agnew Reid - The Story, 1890. - Oil on canvas,Collection of the WinnipArt Gallery. Gift from the Hugh F. Osler Estate. G-47-164.

This is the painting that I loved the most in the Academic Tradition collection. There's something cute, mysterious, and great about this picture. The charm of these boys in their little coats is irresistible.

It was nice feeling. I love the peace and quiet the place gives me. I like being surrounded by art. Could have stayed longer but I had to go somewhere. I wish to come back soon and just sit there and let time pass. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!