Thursday, December 31, 2009

When 2009 began...

... we generally have no idea how it was going to end.

2009 taught me a lot. It never really occurred to me how much this year will change how I see myself and the world around me. I started the year with a really interesting goal. I have been serious with life for the past years that by the end of 2008, it took a toll on me. I was tired and bored. I felt that I sucked life out of me. I began 2009 with a promise that I will make my life more colorful and exciting. And I did.

I've met a lot of people that helped me get to know myself better. All the encounters, all the conversations that happened this year left wonderful memories. The laughter that I shared with all of these people, who are amazing in a lot of ways, is priceless. 2009 was a process of learning and I have gained and lost friends in this experience. I am closer to some, missing some, and wishes I could be closer to some more. But I am happy with the relationships I have now and the level they are in. This will really sound cheesy but life wouldn't be as bright without them. Winnipeg won't be home without friends like them.

Yes, you read that right. I consider the Peg as home. I still love the homeland, don't get me wrong. It's just that right now, if you ask me, almost everything that is important to me is here and it does feel like home. I will always have deep affection and an invaluable connection with everything that is in the Philippines, of course. And yes, I still hope I can come back anytime soon. My professor told me before I left that I should make my country and my university proud wherever I go. I said yes and I intend to keep that promise. I will come back and do something someday. A lot have happened in the Philippines this year that almost every week there is a new headline story. From a philandering local hero, to very strong typhoons, and to a gruesome massacre, the country have gone through a lot. Lives have been lost but hey, every cloud has a silver lining. We observed how resilient Filipinos are. We realized that we can be heroes in our own little way and that we have each others' backs after all.

2009 was far from perfect but the imperfections of this year made it beautiful. Excuse me for sounding so romantic. But honestly, I really do feel that the mistakes that I did this year and all the foolishness I've engaged myself into made me feel closer to the earth and more human. I was too safe before - over analyzing, over rationalizing, and oversimplifying. I just had to destroy all the walls myself and let people in once and for all. And I am proud to say I have no regrets. There is more to life than getting As. School cannot teach us how to live a life that is composed of a thousand colorful and wonderful stories.

It is comforting to know that after all the trials that we faced this year, we are here and alive. Hopefully 2009 made us better than the previous years. It may be coming to an end but some of the things that happened will carry on to the next year. I guess it is most important that we remain hopeful that things will be better. And if ever things get worse, holding on to our faith and believing that everything is going to be all right in the end is the best weapon and shield that we have.

With this, I'm welcoming 2010 with a smile on my face and hope in my eyes. Let's rock n' roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!