Sunday, January 7, 2007

On fake religiosity and 'utang na loob'

I don't understand why people help but then ask for something in return. Even before, I really hated the concept of 'utang na loob'. I am not being a saint here but when I help someone, it is because it is my choice and because I am willing. I don't expect him/her to pay for whatever I did for him/her. It is really disappointing seeing this mentality in this place. The disappointment is magnified a hundred times because this place is actually really small where almost everyone knows everybody. You would expect that because it is small, everyone should be friendly with one another but sadly it isn't. Nagiging mentality na kapag natulungan ka ng isang tao, dapat mong tapatan yung nagawa nyang 'yon kung hindi man higitan. If you failed to do it, you should prepare yourself for the chismis that will come around. Everything is so fake.

Which leads me to...

Fake religiosity. I am absolutely disgusted with people who join and lead religious organizations and pretend to be oh so holy when they hold grudges, pass along gossip, and expect to be paid when they offer help. I mean, really, why? Let me just make it clear that I am not expecting them to be angels or something but some of them don't even have respect or enough decency which is really sad. I could not resist to think that this is all ostentation - to be looked up to and be known.

***

About this entry:
Isn't it obvious I am talking about someone? If you are asking if I am angry with this person, well, yes I am but more of disappointed because of reasons I implied above.

This person does not know how lives will be affected because of what he did. Buti na lang nakahanap agad ng solusyon. Kung hindi, I wouldn't let him have a good night sleep. And I'm not joking. Haha.

If you are asking if I will hold a grudge on him, no. I don't plan to have wrinkles at an early age because of this person.

1 comment:

  1. oi, puso mo! pero seriously, i could have written this myself. iyang utang na loob na yan. bad word sa akin yan. dapat kasi kung tutulong, tutulong ka ng walang hinihintay na kapalit. kung hindi mo naman kayang tumulong ng walang kapalit, huwag ka na. o kaya pwede rin sigurong sabihin mo na upfront kung ano ang gusto mong kabayaran sa pagtulong mo. bwahaha.
    i know what you mean and trust me i understand how you feel. mga lintek na yan.
    sorry, nacarried away ako =P

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!